Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: Can i render feathers on a renderfarm without extra licenses?
A: Yes, you need to cache the simulation as 'ICECache':
Animate->Tools->Plot->Write Geometry Cache
Then create an empty pointcloud and choose -
Animate->Tools->Plot->Load Geometry Cache
3. Q: Is there a way to export a simulation?
A: Yes, to export a simulation to other 3d packages, follow this tutorial. These are just a few of the many possible ways to get the data out of Softimage.
4. Q: When I export the feathers as a model and then import the model into a clean scene, why do the point clouds not show the instanced geometry?
A: When importing a model, the name of the model sometimes changes. To avoid hardcoded model names in the compounds, open the ICE compounds and change all references of the model to "this_model".
5. Q: How do I make the feather color show up in the render?
A: The particle color is set accordingly to the texture map on the reference emitter. To use this color for rendering, the material on the feather instances need to have a color attribute. This can be plugged into a diffuse slot for example.
6. Q: What can I do to increase performance while editing the feathers?
7. Q: How can I subdivide a mesh that already has a feather system applied?
A:This is often needed when more control through a weight map is needed. Since the mesh gets duplicated when creating a feather system, you need to subdivide both the deformed and the reference mesh.
8. Q: How can I update the feather orientation when changing the UVs?
A:The tangent operator gets frozen during the initial "Setup Feather System" process and thus does not update the feather orientation when you change the UVs afterwards.
To create a new live tangent operator:
9. Q: Can I reorder the feathers of the feather group?
A:Yes. Please follow these steps and be careful because ICE likes to crash when doing this.
To reorder the feathers:
10. Q: Is there a way to prevent the plugin from adding the property "mb_FeatherToolsProp" to every scene I open ?
A:You can always deactivate the plugin. To do so, go to File -> Plug-in Manager -> expand the Tree until you see "mb_FeatherToolsPlugin. Then right-click -> Unload. Once it is unloaded you can manually delete the property and save the scene.
You can enable it again by right-clicking on the folder and choosing "Update".
11. Q: Does mbFeatherTools work under Linux?
A:Yes, but some Linux distributions come with slightly different python libraries that can cause problems. If the plugin crashes because of the hashlib (error message complaining about "md5"), here is a fix that should work.
For example, using the centos6 libcrypto and libssl crashes out xsi on linux. A version that works can be found in the adlm folder of the install which matches. Just link the links into the application folder of xsi and it should work.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Jul 23 12:20 /user/server/apps/SOFTIMAGE/linux-x86-64/Softimage_2012.SAP.98.1057/Application/bin/libcrypto.so.4 -> ../../Adlm/R4/lib64/libcrypto.so.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jul 23 12:20 /user/server/apps/SOFTIMAGE/linux-x86-64/Softimage_2012.SAP.98.1057/Application/bin/libssl.so.4 -> ../../Adlm/R4/lib64/libssl.so.4